1) Review my Reading Policy before contacting me. I only accept ONE genre, but multiple categories. If your manuscript doesn’t meet my guidelines, then I won’t be a good fit for you.
2) QUESTIONNAIRE - I’ll send you a questionnaire for you to fill out and return. For beta reading clients: if I feel we are a good fit based off your responses, we’ll move on to #4 in the process. For editing clients: if I feel we are a good fit based off your responses, we’ll proceed to #3 in the process.
3) SAMPLE FLIRT (For new editing clients only) - In order to see if we’re a good match, I will request a sample chapter, preferably from the middle. I will eye-bang 1K words of that sample (less for short stories) for free and get back to you with my recommendations. Please note that a sample will give you only a tease of what a professional editing service involves, and will not reflect the full inventory of decisions that will be made.
4) SCHEDULING - If you like my sample edit--and I feel we are a good match--and you want to work with me, we’ll discuss scheduling to find a time slot that works for us both.
5) QUOTE/CONTRACT/DEPOSIT INVOICE - Once we’ve secured a time slot, I’ll send you a quote with a contract and collect a $25 deposit to hold the space in my calendar. Until I receive that deposit, your editing time is not secure and may be booked by another client. All payments are to be made online via Stripe.
6) FIRST INVOICE - After you accept the quote and contract terms, I’ll send an invoice for a deposit of 50% of the total cost (minus the deposit) of the project, five (5) business days before the start date. Payment of this deposit indicates your acceptance of the contract terms and is due at time of receipt. All payments are to be made online via Stripe.
7) SEND MANUSCRIPT - Once you pay your deposit, it’s time to send me your manuscript. You will be assigned to a project folder on Google Drive that only you and I will have access to.
8) THE EYE-BANGING BEGINS! - I edit with Track Changes enabled, so you’ll be able to clearly see the changes I’ve made.
9) FINAL INVOICE - Once completed the first pass, I’ll send you a final invoice for the remaining 50% of the total price. This invoice is due upon receipt.
10) DELIVERY OF FILES AND RECEIPT - After your balance is paid, your final files will be available to you in your project folder, along with a “paid in full” receipt for your records. You will receive the Track Changes version and a Clean version (all changes accepted and only comments remaining).
11) EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS - If you have any questions regarding my work, you will have thirty (30) business days from the date of received files to contact me.
12) FEEDBACK SURVEY - Five (5) business days after final files have been provided, you will receive a feedback survey. If you could please fill it out, I would greatly appreciate it. Your response will allow me to better evaluate business practices, and in turn provide better service for future and returning clients.
OTHER DETAILS TO CONSIDER
Additional read-throughs will be considered a new project and charged at the regular rates.
Newer versions will not be accepted once reading or editing has begun.
Books in a series or part of an anthology collection are considered to be individual submissions, but you'll get a returning-client discount.
Enough with the diddling. I'm ready to get started!